This is a lovely soup for a cold rainy day (which it was).
- About 265g variety of mushrooms (not the white button type, but dark forest mushrooms) cleaned well and chopped coarsely
- 1 large sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced finely)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cups of chicken stock (or stock of your choice)
- Optional cream if desired (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp per cup of good quality cognac or brandy
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add butter until melted (this is important, butter and mushrooms are an AMAZING combo).
- Put mushroom mix into a blender, add warm chicken stock and blend until creamy (to desired consistency, I like it creamier) add cream now if desired (I don’t!).
- Return to stove to heat thoroughly.
- Pour into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of cognac or brandy for guests to add themselves. I served this soup with croûtons and some cheddar biscuits (previously posted recipe).
- Serves 4 to 6 depending on size of bowls.