We made this soup for a dinner party about a month or so ago, and tonight we pulled out the left overs and enhanced the already amazing soup!
I call it my kitchen sink soup as you can use any vegetables you have in the refrigerator!
Original recipe has been modified from Recipe Zaar (soup Nazi version!)
- 8 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled &, diced (all vegetables should be diced the same size)
- 1 carrot, peeled & diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 large eggplant, peeled & diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 796 mL low sodium stewed tomatoes (I use PC blue menu)
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews (I will often omit this to mitigate calories)
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 teaspoons garam masala (this is an indian spice mix which I have modified from an old cookbook – here is a link, but use spices that you like to make it your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash marjoram
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash of cayenne (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a very large pot. Add onion and cook until golden brown.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 hours or until soup has reduced by more than half.
- Stir occasionally for the first few hours, but stir often in the last hour to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- The edges of the potatoes should become more rounded, and the nuts will soften.
This will freeze very well. To enhance the soup, just before serving, add:
- 3 shrimps per serving
- 1 cup sliced smoked chorizo sausage
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken
- Defrost and reheat.
- Add Shrimp and Chorizo and cook for about 4 minutes.
Note: You may also purée this soup (without the chicken, sausage or shrimp) to make it a creamed version, but always run it through a fine sieve, it is worth the extra effort and makes an amazingly smooth and silky soup!
- Add cooked chicken and stir until reheated.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt! Enjoy!