I thought my cold was over and done with…I was left with a few sniffles, but certainly not bad considering it started in Morocco. Sunday it returned with a vengeance! It is everything a head cold is supposed to be, annoying, noisy and gross! So here I am, week 2 since we’ve been back and I’m sick as a dog, AND I have to drag my sorry butt into work because we are so busy, I cannot let my friend (boss) and clients down. Fortunately I have a wonderful husband who has totally looked after me since the sniffles returned. It’s been strictly soup and JT makes enough for me to have a lunch the next day! Tonight’s dinner was Chanterelle Mushroom Soup, a variation from Epicurious (he has kindly made a healthier version for us!) and it was so delicious, I had to write about it. This soup is a light mushroomy broth and the chanterelles give it some sweetness. If you’re really hungry, you could add some dumplings, or even egg drop noodles.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 cups Chanterelle mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tablespoons brandy
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat, add onions and sauté until golden.
- Add all mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms begin to brown lightly.
- Stir in stock.
- Add brandy, stir 30 seconds and bring soup to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.