To finalize Super Bowl Food Frenzy, I deliver to you the piece de resistance: New York Style Chocolate Cheesecake with a Cherry Pie Topping.
I made a cheese cake which was supposed to be representative of the NY Giants, New York Style Chocolate Cheesecake with a Cherry Pie Topping. The recipe originated from my very old and battered Fanny Farmer Cookbook which was given to me as a wedding gift by one of the wives of a guy that worked in John’s Father’s factory. I used to make it all the time, but now it’s reserved for very special occasions (mainly because it is quite rich and fattening). I’ve lightened it up quite a bit from the original, but you can use the full fat versions should you please. This is a baked cheesecake and therefore not as creamy as an unbaked cheesecake, but that’s exactly what I love about it.
New York Style Chocolate Cheesecake with a Cherry Pie Topping
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (or any type of cookie, your choice)
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- Mix all of the ingredients above well and press into a 7″ spring form pan. Set aside.
Cheese Cake Ingredients:
- 2 small eggs separated
- 200 g low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Cheese Cake Directions:
- Pre heat oven to 325°F / 165°C.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and pale.
- Add the yogurt, sugar, sifted cocoa, flour, salt, sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, add 1 tbsp sugar gradually, until it is stiff and shiny (as if you were making a meringue).
- Fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated being careful not to deflate.
- Bake for about 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Top with sour cherry pie filling topping (recipe below).
Sour Cherry Pie Filling
- 540 mL / 19 oz Pitted Sour Cherries in a jar, strained, liquid reserved
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little bit of cold water.
- Bring the reserved liquid to a boil, add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Gently pour in the cornstarch and stir until the liquid has thickened.
- Return cherries to the liquid and stir gently.
- Allow to cool a bit. Gently pour over cheese cake. Save any left over sauce for extra sauce for the cheese cake.