Years ago we were watching Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello and he and a friend had a pizza cook-off. I cannot recall who won, but I do know we came away with the best Onion Confit recipe EVER. I usually make up a couple of batches and freeze; they are perfect for a pizza base, sauce base, dip base, even on a salad with crumbled blue or goats cheese. And because I freeze small quantities, they defrost quite easily. Please click here for Chef Chiarello’s original recipe.
I posted my take on the original recipe here, but I never took a photo of it. Well, you’re in luck because I made some up on the weekend and I was smart enough (wink, wink) to remember to take a gorgeous daylight filled photo of it.
For additional ideas on how to use these gorgeous sweet onions, please see:
- Replace the caramelized onion in LCBO’s Cheddar and Onion Dip
- Spread a layer of the onion confit on the bread before you add the topping in this Bruschetta recipe
- Use the onion confit as your base on any pizza, but this Fig and Goats Cheese Pizza would be deeeee-lish
- Add it to the Fajita Salad in this recipe
- And last but not least, replace the dates in this delicious Poached Pear with Stilton, Walnuts and Bacon Salad