Today is my birthday, and in normal Pamela fashion (from Downton Abbey Cooks), I plan to continue the celebrations as long as I possibly can, so I’ll be celebrating all week long with luncheons and dinners and of course, the obligatory trips to the gym to offset the effects of said celebrations!
JT is actually taking me out for a special “Iron Chef” dinner which will require a post of its own. Stay tuned.
We were out Friday night at a relatively new place and I had the Caprese salad which was drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil without balsamic (this place is notorious for sticking to authentic Italian food and if it is NOT authentic, it’s simply NOT done) and it was delicious. Although I do love balsamic with tomatoes, this version allowed the subtle flavour of the bufalo mozzarella and the acidity of the tomatoes through. It was a very lovely experience, so I decided to create this simple hors d’œuvres the same way.
Caprese Salad Bites
Serves 4, or two really hungry people!
- 16 grape tomatoes
- 8 mini bufalo mozzarella cheese balls
- 16 small basil leaves (I used both Italian basil and variegated basil)
- 1-3 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 16 wooden toothpicks
- Slice the bufalo mozzarella in halves.
- Skewer one tomato, one smallish basil leaf and the bufalo mozzarella; continue until you have them all done.
- Serve at room temperature, in a little bowl, drizzled with EVOO and Himalayan pink salt