We survived another Doran weekend; these weekend are full of gluttony, laughter and somewhat excesses but most of all, they are full of friendship, love and stories. And laughter, A lot of laughter. We decided to spend this weekend at the cottage because our dear friends hadn’t been up for quite some time, plus we wanted to share our new found excitment in the renovations with them! September weekend weather can be hit and miss and we had both this time around. Sunny or not, it was damn chilly and we had the heat on more than the windows open. Fall is definitely the the air. And as luck would have it, I forgot my shoes at home, so the majority of the weekend was spent in flip flops and borrowed socks, thank you T!
I always like to serve a little nibbly with cocktails; drinking on an empty stomach can be dangerous so when I came across these flavourful little nibbles, I was all over them. A touch of heat, a touch of sweetness and a lot of texture, these will surprise you with how easy they are to eat!
Makes 3 cups (recipe adapted from Epicurious)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups whole almonds, skin on
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp black and white sesame seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 300° F (XXX° C). Line a baking sheet with a silpat® sheet or parchment.
- Sift the spices and salt together and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the almonds and roast for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the honey and stir well. Sprinkle the spices over the sticky almonds. Add the sesame seeds and stir well to combine.
- Turn out the almonds onto the prepared cookie sheet and flatten to one layer of almonds. Bake for approximately 15 minutes (watch so it doesn’t burn), turning at least once in the process.
- Cool completely and serve.