It was Thursday before the long weekend and we all know what that means in my house…cocktails! And we all know I really don’t like serving cocktails without a little grub on the side. But I’ve been at work all day and haven’t really thought about it until now. I rummage through the freezer and find a little baggy with Smoked Salmon Horseradish Mousse that I made recently. This little appi is a re-invention of a the mousse which I blogged about in 2008 (no, the mousse is not THAT old !). I served it last night in little cucumber cups (you know, the mini cucumbers that are so darn adorable?)
Smoked Salmon Horseradish Mousse
an adaptation from Gourmet | November 1992
Serves 6 as a first course (freeze leftovers like I did).
- 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I used yogurt cheese)
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, chopped (about 1/3 cup), plus 6 ounces smoked salmon, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh horseradish, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill plus dill sprigs for garnish
- 2 mini cucumbers, cut into 5 equal sized ‘cups’
- 2 tsp red roe
- 2 tsp chives, finely chopped
- With a small melon baller or a sharp edged spoon, scoop out the middle part of the cucumber until about 2mm from all edges. Turn up-side-down on paper towel and allow to drain.
- In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let it soften for 1 minute.
- Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring, until the gelatin is dissolved, add 1/4 cup of the yogurt cheese, and cook the mixture, whisking, until it is smooth.
- In a food processor purée the chopped salmon until it is very smooth add the gelatin mixture, the remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, the horseradish,
- Remove from blender and stir in the minced dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon small amounts of this mixture into the cucumber cups and top with red roe and chopped chives.
- Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Betsy at Bits and Breadcrumbs recently nominated me for the lovely ABC Award, thank you kindly. I am always very flattered and touched by your kindness. As Betsy put it there doesn’t seem to be any specific rules attached to this fun award; just thank the person who gave it to you and share something about yourself using each letter of the alphabet. Wow, this almost made my brain explode.
ABCD: Assertive, Blue-eyed , Cheeky, Deliberate
EFGH: Exacting, Feminine, Gullible, Happy
IJKL: Introspective, Joking, Kind, Loving
MNOP: Mature, Naughty, Observant, Polite
QRST: Quirky, Right, Sassy, Talented
UVW: Unusual, Vivacious, Witty
XYZ: X(any suggestions?), Youthful, Zealous
Thanks again Betsy.