The sun is setting earlier and the temperatures are not reaching the highs that July gifted us. A tree in my neighbourhood has already begun to change colour which means the evening temperatures are dipping lower and lower. The Canadian National Exhibition has been in full swing for a 9 days already. And with that Autumn is fast approaching on Summer’s heals. Sadness at the loss of yet another year pokes at my heart, but as soon as my feet grow accustomed to wearing full shoes and socks, I become excited to dive into my fall wardrobe and of course, my wonderful collection of boots. BBQs, chilled soups and refreshing salads are soon to be replaced by warmer, heartier foods and with that, the house becomes alive again with the wonderful aromas of autumn foods. But I digress. I still have time for one more salad!
A couple of bloggers I follow were recently on the East Coast enjoying the plentiful sea foods offered out there, so I began hankering for a simple shrimp salad. Of course, I’ll make enough to have for lunch at work tomorrow. And as usual, I’ll take my inspiration from Epicurious, but adding my own twist.
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled, de-veined, tail off (I hate messing with my fingers when there is a dressing or sauce all over them)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-4tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado diced (lightly sprinkled with the lemon juice so it doesn’t turn brown)
- 1/2 cup mini tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 garlic scapes, finely chopped
- Handful of baby arugula, per person
- Combine mayonnaise and seasonings in large bowl, add shrimp and avocado and gently mix well to coat.
- Create a bed of arugula and add the vegetables in the centre. Spoon on top the shrimp avocado mix. Garnish with green onions and chopped scapes.