My friend Barb made an incredible feast for Chinese New Year, she had so many delicious things it was really difficult to choose just one. But when I saw the Lemon Chicken plated out, I knew I had to try it because, believe it or not, I happen to adore the not so good for you version at Chinese fast food stalls! It turns out that lemon in savoury dishes is not one of JT’s favourite things, although he did say he didn’t hate it. Well, what he actually said was he prefers the taste of lemons in desserts! Go figure. I really enjoyed this recipe because I adore sour and sweet combos. And I have to admit, I reduced the sugar for our dinner and if I were to make it again, I would reduce it even more as I found it a little too sweet for my taste (I have adjusted the recipe below to reduce the sugar). I also baked the skinless, boneless Chicken breasts instead of pan frying to be a little healthier.
Original Recipe from House and Home
Serves 2, 100 g portions
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar (I have reduced this from my pictured recipe already)
- 1 heaping tbsp grated ginger root
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 200 g boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Mix of greens such as shredded romaine lettuce.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine water, sugar and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes to infuse the water with the ginger.
- Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest and quickly return to a boil.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in about 1 tbsp cold water and stir well into the lemon mixture. Cook on medium neat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove all residual fat from the chicken. Place in a zip lock bag and pound so that the breasts are even thickness. Cut each breast into similar thickness stips.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, stir well. Set aside.
- Whisk egg white, water, soy sauce and garlic in another bowl, set aside.
- Pour Panko into a third bowl and mix in the sesame seeds.
- Set up your breading stations so that the flour mixture is first, the egg whites second and the panko last.
- Dredge the chicken strips in the flour mixture and shake off excess, then dip into the egg whites and lastly coat with panko/sesame mix. Repeat with all the chicken strips until all have been breaded.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 12-15 minutes (turning about mid way) or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165°F or 74° C.
- Reheat the sauce. Fill a bowl with mixed greens, place chicken strips over the greens and dress with the hot lemony sauce.