I’ve been in the kitchen for about 33 years so I’ve developed a few tricks and I’d like to share them with you. Check back, I’ll keep adding to this as I think of more.
- Buy an extra ice cube tray from the dollar store and use this for any leftovers of tomato paste. Have you noticed that the recipe always calls for less than the can, so I fill my extra ice cube tray with left overs and freeze, remove from the tray and put into a zip lock bag and return to the freezer. Voilà, instant tomato paste when you need it!
- Keep your fresh ginger in the freezer – you don’t even need to peel it. When the recipe calls for fresh ginger, I just grate the required amount with my microplane grater!
- Hotel Shower caps…I’ve never used a shower cap in the shower, but I do love them in the kitchen – they are great for covering bowls, pots and even plates for a short time in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend it for longer durations if you have a frost free refrigerator, it doesn’t seal enough and your food will dry out.
- Do you have stainless steel? Forget about the expensive cleaners, use vinegar and water (1:3) no streaks and if you use a microfiber cloth drying is very fast!
- Chopping onions and garlic makes your hands smell…rub your finger on your stainless steel faucet, the stainless eliminates the odor!
- Make double batches of food and freeze the extras for when you don’t have time to cook. For example, I generally have about 3-4 different hors d’oeuvres in the freezer for drops-in (or it’s one last thing I have to think about making when hosting a dinner party!) Right now I have: Bacon wrapped dates, Spanakopita, Perogies and Cheese Dip.
- Butter, a pat won’t make you fat! It’s all about flavour, dah-link!