My mom saw this being made on the show, and immediately tried it. With great success, she recommended it to me and I’ve been making them ever since. It’s a nice chewy treat.
Anzac Biscuits (recipe from Martha Stewart)
Makes about 3 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Lyles Golden Syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, and coconut. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with syrup. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water, and add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. (Be careful; if the butter is hot, it will bubble up considerably.)
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice-cream scoop, drop onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (be sure to pack the scoop tightly so the mixture doesn’t crumble). Flatten cookies slightly with the heel of your hand.
- Bake until golden brown and firm but not hard, about 15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.