Drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette, this fresh salad is an amazing accompaniment to any meal. Make sure you have the ripest tomatoes (not the mealy kind the normal grocery stores sell…really really red tomatoes that smell like tomatoes!!!)
1 fresh mozzarella ball
2-3 medium sized tomatoes or about a dozen strawberry tomatoes
fresh basil (torn into strips)
1/8 cup of good quality balsamic
2 tbsp rich dark olive oil (I add less than you are supposed to, 2:3 ratio, where 3 is oil)
1 clove garlic (minced or chopped really finely)
- For dressing, mix oil and balsamic together, salt to taste and add minced garlic, set aside (not in refrigerator)
- wash and slice tomatoes into 1/2 cm slices, or if strawberry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Slice mozzarella into 1/2 cm slices (about the same diameter as the tomatoes)
- Arrange in shallow bowl, so that there is a mozzarella beside each tomato
- Strain dressing through a fine sieve, and drizzle over the salad (this way you don’t have chunks of garlic, just a dressing infused with garlic).
- Let stand at room temperature for a minimum of 1/2 hour.
I served this salad last night with haddock rolls stuffed with a home made pesto and roasted golden beets. It was lovely!