Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 Medium Eggplant (2lb)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3+ tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced on a microplane
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Salt each cut side and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. Wipe off excess liquid and salt.
- Generously oil rimmed baking sheet. Place eggplant halves, cut side down, on sheet. Roast until eggplant is very soft, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Using spoon, scoop out pulp from eggplant into strainer set over bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, allowing excess liquid to drain from eggplant.
- Transfer eggplant pulp to processor. Add tahini, lemon juice, and garlic; process until almost smooth, adding olive oil until desired consistency is achieved.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl.
- Should be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with my whole wheat flat breads.