Naan Bread (adapted from several recipes)
This recipe is only good fresh from the oven…but if you need to reheat them, try steaming them to get the chewy texture back!
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup natural yogurt at room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp flavouring of your choice (such as minced garlic, onion, cumin etc) – the one in the photo is plain
- Dissolve yeast in water with the sugar and let stand 10 minutes until frothy.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt in a medium sized bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture, olive oil, yogurt and flavouring and combine until a dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Return the dough to the bowl and cover, allow to rise about 1 ½ hours until double in size.
- Preheat oven on high broil setting, preheat your cast iron pan as well.
- Punch dough down and turn out to a lightly floured surface and knead a further 4 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 portions and pat with your fingers to form ovals about 6 inch by 4 inches and about ½ inch thick. Rub both sides with room temperature butter.
- Lay dough onto your preheated really hot cast surface and broil for 2-4 minutes each side, turning twice in the process to allow bubbles to form on both sides.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm in foil. If you are reheating, try steaming to regain the chewy texture.
Check it out at Foodista.