The diet went extremely well last week – 4lbs in total, and am hoping for an additional 4 this week. I broke down and had cocktails and wine, but the weeknights will remain dry.
I remembered I bought a tortilla press a few years ago and thought I would dust it off and make some mini hors d’oeuvres sized ones. They turned out OK, not sure if I will make them again. The braised beef filling was extremely tasty!
Homemade Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla Recipe
- 2 cups less 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds and wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor. In another bowl combine the warm water and oil.
- Add the water/oil mixture to the flour mixture, drizzling until it combines to form a dough. Once the water is mixed in, add another tablespoon of water and repeat the process until all the water is mixed into the dough. The dough will be sticky.
Cooking The Tortillas
- Once you have rolled out the tortilla very very thinly, place it on a preheated cast iron skillet. You don’t need to add any oil or butter. Cook the tortilla for about 30 seconds to one minute. You will notice brown spots all over your tortilla. Flip it over and cook an additional 30 seconds to one minute.
- Don’t over cook it as you want the tortilla to be nice and soft.
- Keep your tortillas warm by covering them in a towel on a plate or in a tortilla warmer.
Braised Beef Filling
- 1/2 cup of braised beef (I saved this from an oxtail gravy I made quite some time ago)
- 1 green onion
- 3 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic fine minced
- 3 tbsp finely diced red pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Cayanne pepper to taste
- Onion sprouts to garnish
- Mix all ingredients together, serve with warm tortillas as an hors d’oeuvres.