Today is my birthday.
A very good friend has decided to go on the Bernstein diet (yes, that is 5 referrals for me!) and we were having them over for brunch this past Sunday to celebrate our July birthdays. I had to come up with a brunch that was Bernstein friendly and JT did one for the men. I decided that a vegetable frittata on a bed of greens would do the trick (Serves 2: 8 egg whites whipped until frothy, 4 oz sautéed vegetables on a bed of greens with a lemon garlic Dijon dressing – it was very tasty!) For dessert I whipped up a treat of frozen strawberries. The water tends to float to the bottom of the mold creating a lovely jewel-like top when plated. I prepared the same dessert for the men, but instead of egg whites, I had a 1/2 cup of whipping cream left over from the Frozen Lemon Mousse, so I used it (I actually got 4 whipped cream treats out of that batch!)
Frozen Strawberry Dessert
- 7 fresh ripe strawberries
- 2 egg whites
- 2-3 mint leaves
- Purée 4 of the strawberries until smooth.
- Chop one of the remaining berries into small pieces.
- Whip the egg white until firm.
- Fold into the strawberry purée and fold in the remaining berry pieces.
- Scoop into a flexible mold and freeze overnight.
- About 1/2-1 hour before serving, remove from freezer and put into the fridge.
- Garnish with mint and the whole berry.