Savory French Toast (adapted from the LCBO magazine)
Serves 2 large portions or 4 small portions
- 1 Large egg
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 slices ham
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 oz goats cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- maple syrup
- Lightly Whisk egg, egg white, honey and milk. Set aside.
- Spread 1 tbsp each of Dijon on 2 pieces of bread.
- Sprinkle with about 1/4 of the Parmesan.
- Top with 1 slice of ham for each of these two slices of bread, and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.
- Spread 1/2 of the goat cheese on the remaining two slices of bread and place face down on the ham side.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron pan (large enough to hold the two sandwiches)
- Dip each sandwich on each side into the egg mixture until all of the egg has been absorbed equally.
- Fry each side for about 5 minutes. Place in preheated oven for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Enjoy with fruit and drizzled maple syrup.