Our most recent LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) magazine had an article on Bourbon, so naturally I was inspired to create two small chewable desserts and one liquid dessert for a tapas meal I had a couple of weeks ago with our good friends Rae and Mon.
We began with the Bourbon Triffle, then had the Bourbon Chocolate Mousse in a Chocolate cup and ended with a small shot of Bourbon. The Bourbon Mousse recipe follows. It originate from the LCBO but unfortunately it is not yet posted (when it does, I will link it). I have modified and reduced the recipe to make it more healthy and of course, a quantity reduction since I only needed a very small amount.
Chocolate Bourbon Mousse (modified for smaller quantities)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 chup 35% cream chilled
- 1/2 egg white
- Combine sugar and bourbon in a small saucepan and cook until sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- Melt chocolate, add about 1 tsp cream. Stir in bourbon sugar mixture. Allow to cool completeley, about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream until firm.
- Fold egg whites and cream into chocolate mixture.
- Serve in chocolate cups (as shown) or in decorate glasses.
- Freeze remainder in a small container and serve at your next party as bourbon ice cream (this was even better than the mousse!!!)