We’re having JT’s family over for cocktails after our RCYC luncheon. I’m making totally retro food, Deviled Eggs, Mini Easter Cupcakes and Retro Olive Nuggets. JT’s sister used to make a version of these for the cottage cocktail parties their parents held in the 80’s! JT and I talked about making them for Easter and coincidentally a Balderson Cheese booklet had an intriguing recipe, so it had to be done!
Retro Olive Nuggets (my variation, of course)
- 1/4 lb Shredded Aged Cheddar (I used orange, but you can use white too!)
- 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter (the original recipe asks for salted butter, but the olives and the chipotle spice I added made it salty enough!)
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp zantham gum (not required if using all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp Sexy Gourmet Chipotle Spice mix
- about 30 small pimento stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Pre heat oven to 350°F.
- Place all ingredients but the sesame seeds and olives into a food processor and process until it becomes a firm ball of dough.
- Remove from processor and rollout on a piece of parchment to about 2 -3 mm thick.
- Using a 5cm cookie cutter, cut circles. Wrap one olive per cut circle and roll into sesame seeds until well coated.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until sesame seeds are somewhat golden.
- Enjoy warm or cool. We preferred the flavour once they cooled to room temperature, you really taste the cheese and the sexy spice!