Original Recipe from Food Network Canada Christine Cushing
- 1/4 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 cup shelled, roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the pistachios, hazelnuts, cloves, 1/4 cup of the sugar and 2 tsp. of the cinnamon.
- Pulse until nuts are coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 2 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
- Lay out 1 sheet of phyllo (keep remaining phyllo under a damp tea towel) and brush gently with some melted butter.
- Sprinkle with a little of the cinnamon mixture.
- Lay another piece of phyllo on top and repeat the brushing and sprinkling of cinnamon mixture, ending with a layer of phyllo that is only brushed with butter.
- Sprinkle with nut mixture and the remaining sugar.
- Roll the phyllo into a cigar shape.
- Transfer the roll to prepared baking sheet and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Remove from oven and cut the roll into 9 pieces.
- Let cool completely.
- Transfer pieces to a baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- Meanwhile, prepare syrup by combining water, honey and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, and remove from heat.
- Pour over cooled baklava and let stand about 30 to 90 minutes before serving; for best flavour pour honey about 2 days ahead of serving. Store in an air tight container.