I have been making Cheese Straws since I received my first food processor in 1987 (it came with a similar recipe). I am now making a different recipe but they still taste the same! This one is adapted from The Book of Christmas Foods by Janice Murfitt, published in 1989.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- pinch of cayenne (omit if you are serving to children)
- 2 tbsp granulated garlic (or a flavour of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 cup dry grated Parmesan cheese (I buy any brand on sale and freeze)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Put all dry ingredients into a food processor and process to mix well.
- Add the butter and process until coarse granules form.
- While the blades are running, pour in the egg and process until a soft ball forms. If this does not happen, drizzle little bits of water until a soft ball forms.
- Remove from processor and using a small amount of flour, roll out the dough to about 1/2cm thickness. Cut into 10cm x 1cm straws and position evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove and allow to cool. This will store well in a cool, dark place.