My SIL’s mother, Lea was one of my Mom’s dearest friends (JT’s Mom was her other dearest friend but sadly she passed away quite a few years before my Mom). Lea recently had hip replacement surgery and is recovering slowly, and when I spoke to her, I detected quite bit of frustration in her voice. She has 6 grand children and she likely feels like she’s missing out on quite a bit of action! So, to help cheer her up, I decided to bake her some brownies, but not just any brownies, but Peanut Butter and Milk Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars! Now who wouldn’t cheer up with a big, fat bucket full of Peanut Butter and Milk Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars? Frankly, she wouldn’t expect anything less from her good friend’s daughter; my Mom always had food whenever there was a visit!
Year’s ago JT was in NYC on business (why wasn’t I with him you ask aghast? I’m still asking myself that same question) and he bought me a Hershey’s Chocolate Cookbook as consolation (huh, diamond tennis bracelet would have done the trick!). Believe it or not, I have not made a single thing from that book. Why, you might ask? Although the book is FILLED with wonderful delectable sweets, it is by far, the most unhealthiest recipes I have in my collection and therefore put it aside for the ‘right moment’. And the right moment is upon us, because as we all know ‘cheer’ is nothing without copious amounts of calories and fat.
So join me in wishing my SIL’s Mom a speedy recovery so she can get back to baby-sitting those rug-rats ;-)!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used all natural, unsweetened)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together the melted cooled butter, sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl. Add 2 beaten eggs; stir until blended.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture, stirring until blended. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, remaining beaten egg and 1 teaspoon
vanilla extract. Pour evenly over hot brownie. Set aside 1 tablespoon each milk chocolate chips and peanut
butter chips; sprinkle remaining chips over peanut butter mixture.
- Return to oven; continue baking 20 to 25 minutes or until peanut butter layer is set and edges begin to brown.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Stir together remaining milk chocolate chips, remaining peanut butter chips and shortening in small
microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an
additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when
stirred. Drizzle over top of bars. When drizzle is firm, cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
24 to 36 bars depending on the size you cut them.