My friend, Sawsan over at Chef in Disguise made this salad and posted it early this week and by luck we had all the ingredients on hand and by that same luck we needed something to go with our oven roasted Salmon. I can honestly say it was delicious, the flavours and textures really worked well together, please pop over to Sawsan’s blog and check out her photos (it was dark by the time I snapped the shots and my photos are pitiful!). If you don’t have salmon to eat with it, a little goats cheese would be very tasty indeed!
I left out the pomegranate seeds as they are now out of season and were $7.00 for a very small container! We should have substituted pine nuts for the pomegranate seeds…next time. Sawsan gave me a great tip, she said she buys her pomegranate when on sale and she seeds them into a little container and freezes them for just this type of application! That’s just genius, thank you for sharing that great tip!
Thank you Sawsan for another wonderful recipe.
Layered Avocado Beet Citrus Salad
Serves 3 (I made extra for lunch the next day)
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 4 Beets, roasted until fork tender, peeled and cubed
- 2 oranges sectioned and cut into cubes (juice reserved)
- 1 medium avocado, cut in half, pit removed and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups arugula leaves, cleaned and dried
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (one to two oranges)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
Directions for the Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients into a small jar and shake well. Refrigerate.
Directions for assembly:
- Arrange the arugula leaves in the centre of the plate.
- Place a plating ring or square (7 cm) on top of the arugula leaves.
- Layer with the beets then the avocado and finally the oranges.
- Remove the ring and drizzle with the dressing.