For all you gourmets who are cream, butter and everything that is not-fat-free lovers, I BEG you to read on. This is an egg white recipe that will make your toes curl, it’s so tasty and filling. I was rather surprised as how filling it was and I think you will be too.
The Anything-but-Boring Egg White Omelet
Serves 1 (multiply by the number of people you would like to serve)
- 9 tbsp egg whites (I used Egg Beaters Whites)
- 45g sweet onion, finely chopped
- 40g grape tomatoes, sliced into fourths
- 15g wild mushrooms, finely sliced
- 10g green chili peppers, finely sliced (leave seeds in if you like it spicy)
- 5g cilantro, chopped
- 10g green onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriandre
- pinch of cayenne (if you like heat)
- non-stick fat free spray (I use Pam Original)
- 115g mixed greens and celery sticks on the side as garnish (dress with a non fat dressing such as Walden Farms Calorie Free Salad Dressing Chipotle Ranch)
- Spray a small cast iron pan (8″ diametre) with non-stick spray; heat pan.
- Add onions and sweat out, you may need to add a bit of water so that they don’t burn.
- Lightly beat the egg whites until slightly frothy add the cumin, coriandre and cayenne. Pour over the translucent onions. Allow to set a minute or so and then pull in the edges and allow the remaining liquid to spread out over the pan.
- Before the omelet sets, add the tomatoes, mushrooms, chili pepper, cilantro and green onions. Turn off the element and cover. Allow the omlet to set, about 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully fold one side over the other and serve garnished with a little sprig of cilantro.