We adore Mexican food, not the fast food kind, but a genuine ma and pa Mexican restaurant. Sadly we have few and far between in Toronto but there are a couple of good ones. The one I love for lunch is Cucina Lucerno down by Maple Leaf Gardens and why I love it for lunch is that they make a TO DIE FOR Sopa Azteca. Full bodied, flavourful and filling, the three F’s! When I saw the link to slow cooker chicken tortilla soup on Barb’s blog (Profiteroles and Ponytails) in her weeknight survival techniques post, I was immediately drawn to it. The sound of the ingredient combo, just made me think of Sopa Azteca (cue mouth watering), which according to Rick Bayless is one and the same! Go figure!
As Yorkesgirl recommends, I BBQ’d a couple of chicken breasts with a flavourful dry rub*, and then I shredded them and ‘finished’ them off in the slow cooker for about 20 minutes. The soup is divine and is so darn easy. You can even drop the chicken breasts directly into the slow cooker and just let it cook for hours and hours, the chicken is best shredded so over cooking is not a problem!
Sopa de Tortilla
- 2 small chicken breast, BBQ’d* with dry rub (see notes below)
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed, low sodium
- 300g enchilada sauce (I wouldn’t bother putting this in next time).
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 fresh green jalopeño, minced finely
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Place everything but the chicken into the slow cooker on high, stir. Cook for 2-3 hours and then add the frozen corn and cook five minutes and then add the shredded BBQ’d chicken* and cook for 20 minutes until thoroughly heated through.
Or, sauté onions and garlic in a soup pot, add the jalopeño, spices, cocoa and cilantro and stir until you smell the spices. Add the canned tomatoes, enchilada, water and simmer for 20-40 minutes (longer you simmer the better the flavours).
- Serve with a dollop of low fat Greek yogurt, a sprinkling of cheese of your choice (I had cheddar), some green onions and of course some oven dried tortilla strips. Enjoy.
*BBQ Chicken Rub
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic (not garlic salt)
- 1 tsp ground dehydrated onion flakes
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
- Remove skin from the chicken breasts and cover with the dry rub. Grill or pan fry finishing in the oven on medium heat until chicken juices run clear (around 165° F).
- Tent and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Using a couple of forks, shred the chicken into bite-sized bits.
I’ve had this soup a couple of times now and still have a serving in the freezer which I’m saving for a particularly ugly day when I need some soup to cheer me up.