The same restaurant that I mentioned in a previous post, Bombay Palace serves a pickled carrot that I just can’t get enough of. It’s sweet, tangy and crunchy and delicious. Their version is very red because they put food colouring into it, I omitted the colouring.
Original recipe from here, but I changed it up.
- 1 medium carrot, about 200 g cut into cubes
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- a pinch each ground cloves and cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Blanche the carrots and stop the cooking in an ice bath. Drain well.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a seal-able container, add the carrot and refrigerate for 1-2 days.
- To serve, drain and rinse.
Sweet Mango Chutney
- Mango, not too ripe
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp chili paste
- Peel and seed the mangos and chop into 5-10 mm cubes.
- Place all ingredients into a non-aluminum saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until fruit and onion is very soft. Lightly mash with a fork. Allow to cool and place in a clean glass jar. Store in the refrigerator