Today is my dear Mother’s birthday; were she alive, she would have been 78 years young!
Several years ago we dined at Diego, a lovely Mexican restaurant in the MGM Hotel in Las Vegas and I had a wonderful Ceviche that I have not been able to forget. It was an unusual combination of coconut milk and lime juice that just hit my taste buds perfectly. I adore ceviche and order it whenever I see it on a good restaurant’s menu and have not had the pleasure of these flavours together in one since. So, I thought I’d take a stab at it and create an opportunity to use one of my pearls in the process! Clever, don’t you think?
I’ve made ceviche before, the non-cheater kind but I wanted to put this together quickly for an hors d’œuvres recently and I didn’t feel like waiting for the acid to ‘cook’ the shrimp so I came up with this ‘cheater’ version. You can make the ceviche the old fashioned way, but this really worked out well!
I would have liked to add cubed avocado to this dish but sadly forgot to put it on my shopping list! I’ll remember next time, this is a very quick and tasty recipe.
It’s also rather coincidental in this cyber world how we all post about similar things so I can’t go without mentioning my dear Australian Blogging friend Lorraine who just last week posted this gorgeous recipe about real ceviche. Great minds think alike…please don’t finish the last part of this saying, it kinda bursts my bubble!
Cheater Shrimp Ceviche
Makes ~200 mL Ceviche (slightly more than 3/4 cup), or 8 single serve Chinese Spoons
- 1 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated finely
- 1 tbsp rosa’s lime cordial
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 80 g cooked cocktail shrimp, chopped
- 3-4 slices of English Cucumber (0.5 cm or 1/4″ thick) cubed
- 1 celery rib, cubed
- 1/4 cup avocado, cubed
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika pearls
- Combine the coconut milk powder, finely grated ginger, lime cordial and lime juice in a measuring cup and blend until smooth with a stick blender.
- Combine the chopped shrimp, cubed English cucumber, avocado (if I had some) and celery with the cilantro and green onion, toss with the coconut milk dressing to coat evenly.
- Serve immediately garnished with the smoked paprika pearls.