I always like to serve a salad, particularly when we have a reasonably heavy meal so I came up with this easy Caribbean inspired slaw recipe that hit the spot perfectly when I served it with the Trinidadian Chicken Curry Roti; the coconut cream helped subdue the slight heat from the curry and it was very fresh and delicious. I based the recipe on this slaw that was inspired by Toronto Chef and Food Network Canada celebrity, Susur Lee. Keep the wet and dry ingredients separate until just before serving so that the slaw doesn’t get too sloppy and wet; wet ingredients would be the cucumber and the mango which may be stored together. The beauty of this slaw is the uniformity of each component, so take your time in grating, slicing and chopping.
Caribbean Inspired Slaw
Makes about 8 cups of slaw
- 2 (about 2 cups) carrots, grated
- 1/2 (give or take 3 cups) savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 (about 1 cup) English cucumber, grated
- 1 mango, grated
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine the shredded cabbage with the green onion, grated carrots, cilantro and grated coconut, toss well to combine. Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the grated cucumber and mango and toss well to combine. Refrigerate until serving.
- For the dressing, combine the coconut cream, tamarind, lime juice and honey and mix well. Refrigerate until serving.
- When ready to serve, combine the cabbage mixture with the cucumber mixture and toss well to combine. Add the dressing and toss well to combine. Garnish with additional grated coconut and cilantro. Serve immediately.