Dope Pie is my version of Crack Pie that I made and posted at the end of September. It was unhealthy to say the least so I had an idea to make it slightly healthier and I was successful. I’ve been making these blondies since the beginning of time and the crack pie made me think of them as soon as I tasted the first bite, so with a few alterations I came up with this.
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp water
Directions for Crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 177° C (350°F).
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, almonds and lemon zest and pulse until mixed well.
- Drop in the butter bit by bit and pulse until small crumbs form.
- Drop in the egg yolk and vanilla and pulse until combined. Add the water in a steady stream while pulsing and mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Roll out dough to fit a 25 cm or 10 inch spring form tart pan. Blind bake for about 15 minutes, flattening any bubbles as they come up.
Ingredients for the Filling:
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
Directions for the Filling:
- Lower oven temperature to 150ºC (300ºF).
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside
- Melt butter and brown sugar over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Add slightly beaten egg, be careful not to cook the egg, make sure the mixture is not too hot.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Pour into the partially baked crust and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until it has set and the top cracks a bit.