Cinco de Mayo Inspired Turkey Chili
A Kitcheninspirations Original Recipe
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight in water
- 250 g sweet onions, chopped
- 25 g garlic, finely chopped
- 300 mL tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 mL water and or chicken stock
- 900 g ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 g dried ancho chili (seeds and veins removed)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 30 mL tequila (a nice smokey one)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thinly
- 10 tbsp Greek Yogurt (approx 150 mL)
- 10 tbsp mozzarella cheese
- handful of Cilantro, or to taste
- 3-4 Green onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, finely sliced
- Pre-heat slow cooker on high. Rinse beans and add to the slow cooker along with the onions, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste and the water and/or stock and give it a good stir.
- Brown the turkey meat in a very hot cast iron pan in batches. Add the browned turkey and juices into the slow cooker in batches. Once you have browned all of the turkey, remove the pan from the heat and deglaze the pan with the tequila, scraping off all the delicious turkey bits from the pan. Add this liquid into the slow cooker.
- Give the chili a good stir. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the beans are fork tender. If the chili is too liquidy, then remove the lid for the final hour of cooking.
- Serve hot garnished with sliced avocado, a tablespoon of yogurt or sour cream, cilantro, chopped green onion, shredded mozzarella cheese and finely sliced peppers.