Occasionally, I click on a Facebook sponsored post, these waffle bites were one of them. But the photo was not for a recipe, it was just a photo and when I googled the bites the results were quite disturbing (like a train wreck of Mac ‘n Cheese, a total mess), nothing like the image that was sponsored on Facebook! So I put on my thinking cap and came up with this recipe. I basically mixed a serving of waffle batter with 1 serving of macaroni and cheese and sprinkled both top and bottom with more shredded cheese. These are bites so I did not fill the waffle pan, I wanted them small. You need to cook these slightly longer than a normal waffle because you want the cheese to crisp up, it’s the only way they will come away from the pan without leaving a cheesy mess.
Mac ‘n Cheese Waffle Bites
A KitchenInspirations Original Recipe
Makes 4 small waffles, cut into fourths, about 16 crackers
- 1 leftover serving* of your favourite Mac ‘n Cheese (any packaged or homemade will do).
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of shredded good quality old cheddar (or any good melting cheese)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Make sure your leftover Mac ‘n Cheese is at room temperature (not cold out of the fridge)
- Combine egg and milk and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture and beat until well combined and thick.
- Pour over leftover Mac ‘n Cheese and mix well.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Brush both sides generously with olive oil. Add a couple of tablespoons of shredded cheddar to the base, spoon in about 1/2 cup of the Mac ‘n Cheese waffle batter onto the centre and add a couple more tablespoons of the shredded cheddar on top and close the pan.
- Waffles need to cook a little longer than normal so that cheese crisps up.
- Waffles are cooked when the top of the waffle pan easily peels away from the waffle, although you may need a little nudge to release if cheese is sticking to the iron.
- Cut into quarters with a pizza cutter.
- *A leftover serving is basically a 1/2 cup of uncooked noodles and cheese sauce.
- To make more, simply multiply the waffle ingredients by the number of servings of Mac ‘n Cheese (for example, KD has 4 servings per box, so ingredients would be 4 eggs, 2 cups milk, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder etc…).
- I, intentionally did not make these bites the full-size of the waffle pan, I wanted them irregular and smallish.
- Waffle bites are crispy and not creamy, they are like a giant Mac ‘n Cheese chip.
- Add chopped green onions for extra flavour.
- Serve with salsa, a bruschetta topping or greek yogurt or sour cream for dipping.