I’ve blogged about this recipe before, but I haven’t listed it. It’s a fantastic combination of leeks and wild mushrooms in a tasty garlic base from the LCBO. Of course, JT’s version is a healthier version substituting Carnation Evaporated Milk (not sweetened condensed milk) for the whipping cream, but then he adds prosciutto, so all is not lost!!!
The pastry should be a traditional 1:3 made with whole wheat flour (the whole wheat adds to the sweetness of the tarts and makes this a healthier choice). Serve with a tasty salad.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) Carnation Condensed Milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter
- 8 oz (250 g) mixed mushrooms (shiitake, porcini, cremini, oyster etc.), stems removed where necessary and thickly sliced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chopped garlic
- 1 bunch wild leeks cleaned well and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) lengths
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- One 4 x 13-inch (10 x 33-cm) tart shell, partially baked
- 2 long slices of prosciutto, or 4 small rounds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place Evaporated Milk and garlic cloves in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until milk is flavoured with the garlic and reduced to 1 cup (250 mL) and garlic is very soft. Set aside to cool. Remove garlic cloves, mash with a fork and return to cream. When cool add egg and beat until uniform. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Add chopped garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper to taste and scrape into a bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon (15 mL) of butter to pan and heat over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 1 minute or until they are softened. Add wine and thyme to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more or until leeks are limp and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Arrange mushrooms and leeks in tart shell and pour milk overtop (making sure that mushrooms and leeks peep through the cream.
- Top with prosciutto (this will get very crispy).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set and lightly golden. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 to 6