These are lovely chewy cookies truly reminiscent of pumpkin pie.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together the oil, the molasses, 1 cup of the sugar, and the eggs until the mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, the baking soda, the cinnamon, the ginger, the cloves, and the mace and then add the mixture to the molasses mixture.
- Beat the mixture until it is combined well and chill the dough, covered, overnight.
- Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and roll the balls in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar to coat them well.
- Bake the balls 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops crack. Transfer the cookies to racks and let them cool.