Chocolate Crinkle Kisses
My friend Anna made these cookies one year as a hostess gift when she and her hubby André came for dinner. Barb of Profiteroles and Ponytails introduced us to André about 20 years ago (André is a commercial photographer whom I employed a lot in my corporate days). I LOVED the candy cane flavour with the chocolate and I begged her for the recipe; she was happy to oblige and it’s been on my Christmas cookie list ever since. Hope you love it too! Check out Jessica’s blog kitchenbelleicious, she has a great candy cookie recipe with white chocolate and actual candy canes!
SEE UPDATE: Makes about 3 dozen or more cookies- depending on the size you like. My cookies start out about the size of a walnut.
Chocolate Krinkle Kisses
Update December 2015:
Make each ball 20 g and you will yield 44 cookies. The new bags of Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses (88 g) contain 20 pieces so instead of buying 3 bags and having a bunch left over, I simple cut 4 in half top to bottom and lay them into the cookie.
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag of Hershey candy cane kisses
- Sift icing sugar into a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter with the cocoa powder and granulated sugar.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla Into the chocolate mixture.
- Slowly mix in all the Dry ingredients until combined. Stir in the chocolate Chips.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into a small ball about the size of a walnut; roll balls in the icing sugar.
- Place on parchment covered baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies. Bake 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and insert 1 unwrapped Kiss on each cookie in the centre, pressing down firmly without the kiss touching the cookie sheet on the underside.
- Return to oven for 2 minutes more of baking.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet; transfer to racks to cool completely before storing (the kisses take a few hours to reset, you don’t want to store them before they reset, otherwise they will not maintain their cute little shape.