Whether you’re gluten intolerant, just want to cut back or perhaps you have friends who are — this is a perfect sauce to have in your back pocket. Toss it on some pasta, zucchini ‘pasta’ or dress up some steamed cauliflower, you’ll be surprised at how good it is! I’m using my tried and true lentil purée for the thickener and boy does it thicken! And the cheese creams up with it perfectly — I used cheddar, but you can use whatever cheese you prefer. You’ll have to watch this sauce because it thickens very quickly and can become too thick when it cools down, so serve it hot. I hope you love this sauce as much as I do.
Gluten Free Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked puréed lentils
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 60 g grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cook milk and puréed lentils until smooth, thick and creamy.
- Add cheese and stir until smooth and melted.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Serve over cooked macaroni garnish with Parmesan and broil for a minute until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped green onions and enjoy!
- Pour over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
- Use as a base on pizza.
- Make this into cheddar soup (although that would be very decadent!)