This soup was part of a five-course dinner we made for a good friend who recently suffered a heart attack. The theme was heathy, healthy, healthy!
Serves 4 (1/2 cup servings each)
Ingredients for the Soup:
- 1 large English cucumber, washed but unpeeled, roughly chopped or grated
- 4 shallots, peeled and diced finely
- 3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup low sodium stock, either chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup fat free unflavoured yogurt (or buttermilk)
- Splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Non-stick spray
Ingredients for the Cilantro Oil:
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of sea salt
Directions for the Soup:
- Make this a day or two in advance to allow flavours to combine.
- Heat a cast iron pan and spray with non-stick spray lightly.
- Sauté shallots until translucent, add the garlic and stir just until you smell it. Remove from heat immediately. Allow to cool completely.
- Add cucumbers to a deep bowl, add cooled onion, garlic and yogurt and start blending with an immersion blender. Add stock little by little until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Stir well before serving.
Directions for the Cilantro oil:
- Mix both oil, cilantro and pinch of salt.
- Mash cilantro gently with the back of a spoon (I used my gorgeous olive wood mortal and pestle from Provence). Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Pour cucumber soup into serving bowls, drizzle with the cilantro oil, serve chilled.